Saturday, March 22, 2014

Open Hearts


Marisa's note 9/8/16: It's been 5 years since I updated my blog here. I want to have a spot to collect all the other blogs and interviews I did over the last few years in one place before they all eventually disappear off the web. This is a blog I wrote for our adoption website (now just free hosted on Weebly for the time-being) in March 2014.

Open Hearts

3/22/2014

 
Picture Dear Baby,
    Last week I went to the monthly meeting at our adoption agency. This month's theme was the Open Adoption Agreement - which is what your dad & I will discuss with your birthparents whenever we get matched. The open adoption agreement is so important, and it's one of those things that I want you to know that we take very seriously. See, there are a few different kinds of adoption, and the one we've chosen, open adoption, means that we value having you know your history, and hopefully having a really beautiful relationship with your birthfamily. I've heard through the years that some parents are afraid, or at least a little nervous, about open adoption, but it's all we've ever wanted. There are always crazy, scary stories out there, but I'm so lucky to have had a chance to have birthmoms as friends through the years and each one has taught me about strength, love, and bravery.

            The agreement that we talked about at the meeting gets everyone involved thinking about what this relationship is going to look like, and helps lets us know what expectations we should have. I think we can be pretty assured that everyone involved in your life loves you very much and this agreement let's everyone know that we also respect one another and we're in it for the long-haul. It's a good thing!

            Love,

            Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment