Thursday, March 6, 2014

Local fun

Marisa's note 9/8/16: It's been 5 years since I updated my blog here. I want to have a spot to collect all the other blogs and interviews I did over the last few years in one place before they all eventually disappear off the web. This is a blog I wrote for our adoption website (now just free hosted on Weebly for the time-being) in March 2014.  

Local fun

3/6/2014
 
Dear Baby,

    I'm really looking forward to taking you to see the world. Your dad is totally on board with this as well, but thinks we should wait until you're a older, like maybe 10. Me, I just want to strap you into a wrap or carrier & jet off to Greece or Fiji or anywhere where they love babies! So, we'll see who wins this one! At least we have some pretty cool places to visit right around home. I hope you are an animal lover like us, because we have three zoos, a safari reserve, a couple of aquariums and more that I'm not thinking of right now, all within about an hour of us.

    When I was a little girl there were a few places that my dad always took me. Besides used bookstores and Children's Fairyland, we would go up to Tilden Park in Berkeley. You can not believe all the fun things they have there! A carousel, a nature center, a train... and my favorite, the Little Farm. At the Little Farm it kind of stunk, but I didn't care because I could get up close and personal with goats, pigs, and cows. I still remember the feeling of the cow's tongue taking celery out of my hands as I held my breath and giggled. So many wonderful memories were made there. In fact, because of these great childhood memories, guess where your dad & I got married? Yep, in Tilden Park!

    Well, even if you end up not being so crazy about animals, we'll still have tons of places to have fun around here. Maybe you'll love space & science & we can go to the Lawrence Hall of Science or Chabot Space Center. Maybe you'll just want to run around and play and want to take my hand and lead me to the park nearby our home... we can go to the library, or find a bookstore with a great kids' section (did you know that I worked in bookstores all through college?) Seriously, it's pretty hard to be bored around here!

    I can't wait to show you everything!

    Love,

    Mom

Picture
This duck pond is part of a shopping center totally close to our home! Here we are feeding the ducks with your cousin Kam & our friend's daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment