Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Just haven't met you, yet... (The beginning)


Marisa's note 9/8/16: It's been 5 years since I updated my blog here. I want to have a spot to collect all the other blogs and interviews I did over the last few years in one place before they all eventually disappear off the web. This is a blog I wrote for our adoption website (now just free hosted on Weebly for the time-being) in March 2014. 

Just haven't met you, yet... (The beginning)

3/4/2014
Dear Baby (who doesn't even exist, yet),

    I don't know why it's taken me so long to write to you.. I've thought about you and dreamed about you for so many years now. I guess I always thought you'd be here by now & I could just tell you all these thoughts in person. But, since it's taking a while, I'm just going to write them all down for now :)

    So, how did we get here? Well, Daddy (it's funny to write "Daddy" - hmm, I think for now I'll stick with "your dad" - it's a little less "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof" (which when I was a little girl I had a part in a community theater version of  - I'll explain about Tennessee Williams and plays and musicals maybe when you're just a little older :)) Anyway, your dad & I really, really wanted to have children. It was a longing that I don't think can ever be properly described. We were going to wait until we had been married a year to even try, so we could get ourselves established in a routine and enjoy just being newlyweds for a little while before becoming a family of three or more.

    Well, after about 6 months we changed waiting a year to how about now? But we quickly found out that having biological children wasn't going to be easy for us, and honestly would probably never happen. We went to doctors and they wanted us to try this, try that...but in the end we said, eh, that's ok, we really just want a family, and the more we thought about it, the more we KNEW that open adoption was the path we wanted to take.
    
    So when was that? Last month or last year? Nope, we made that decision nearly five years ago... and it's my hope that this letter & journal will tell you everything you need to know about how & why we've been waiting for you. We love you, and we haven't even met, yet! Hey, that reminds me of a song:

"And I promise you, kid, that I give so much more than I get
I just haven't met you yet
I might have to wait, I'll never give up
I guess it's half timing, and the other half's luck
Wherever you are, whenever it's right
You'll come out of nowhere and into my life"
-Michael Bublé – Haven't Met You Yet

    I'll write more soon,

    Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment