Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fantastic...and funny newborn care class

This past Saturday the husband & I went to a newborn care class for adoptive parents.

The information was presented really well, and even though most of the stuff I knew already, there were still some new pointers & techniques - and the husb loved it, too. My only real problem with the class was the diapering - the teacher was not up to date on cloth diapers, and pretty much discouraged the use of them. It was to the point where I heard at least one person say that she was no longer considering cloth diapering... I mentioned that in my eval, but otherwise the info was really good.

So, the funny part was this guy sitting next to me. He had no problem asking pretty much any question that came into his head. Now, he was not obnoxious in any way - but it was as though he was just learning that babies existed at that very moment. A couple of great questions: "When do you put a diaper on a baby?"  "If you put the baby in a sleep sack, do they wear a diaper, too?" On riding a bike: "Oh, you don't just put the baby on the back of a bicycle?" (I think he meant like in one of those kids seats on the back of a bike, but not a trailer, since he also needed some clarification on why not to put a baby in the bike trailer, which someone else had asked about). There was a question about putting a baby in a stroller, but I can't exactly remember, but he seemed very incredulous that a baby can go in a stroller right away - but he might have been thinking about an umbrella stroller and not a bassinet or travel system - so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. There were so many more, but now I'm just blanking. 

I loved this guy because even though he asked some pretty strange questions, it was as though he was asking everything that the "typical guy" might want to ask, but would be too intimidated. He had no fear of asking a "dumb" question and he did it with such enthusiasm!

I talked to him a tad afterward, and he was a really nice guy, and his wife just sort of grinned and said he's an "external processor" ... then, of course, because I'm nosy, I looked them up on their agency's website and found out they're matched.. so I guess this class came at a good time for them!

6 comments:

  1. We once had 1,000 diapers in our attic. A neighbor asked if we would need that many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog! I just read all your posts through Nov. I am so sorry for your loss. I too had an issue with desiring to touch those sweet black curls when our 5 month old Olivia was taken.

    I am praying now for a baby to come home in 2011 for you that will stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days diapers seem to be the bane of my existence, but just last night my son decided that the bathtub was the proper place to poo, so I think I will go back to loving diapers.

    I didn't get to attend any of those classes before he was born, I hope that they indeed help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I know you don't know me, but we've got something in common. I got your blog address off the Stirrup Queen's blogroll and was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me help a couple who is trying to add a little one to their family. We're holding a silent auction for them this weekend (Friday and Saturday) on goteamwitt.blogspot.com and need help getting the word out! We would love it if you would spread the word via social media or here on your blog. Additionally, we are always looking for more donations to auction off, so if you or someone you know might be interested in making a donation, all the information is under the donate tab. If you have any questions or would be willing to post a pre-written blog post about the auction and the sponsored couple, please contact Kristin at goteamwitt@gmail.com Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this!

    Love Always,

    Jessica Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like reading this post of yours :) I find it refreshing. I'm a mom of a 1.5-year old baby boy. I work 8-10 hours a day, so I can't live without disposable diapers :). My mom helps me take care of my baby while both my husband and I are working, so diapers have been really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute. I love it!

    ReplyDelete