Ok 2010, you have just a little over 2 weeks to redeem yourself, but really, who are we kidding.
Let's take a look at some of the lowlights and, to be fair, some of the highlights of this past stinking year.
January 1, 2010. If there was ever an inauspicious beginning to a new year, this had to be it. Started the year off by getting food poisoning so bad I ended up in the emergency room. I spent the first 10 days of the year completely housebound in pain and drained, in every sense of the word. Plus I had to field messages from my boss insisting that I had cholera.
The next few months were consumed with the buying of our house. Every other day we were delayed, delayed and delayed some more with our loan. At one point we had resigned ourselves that the house we had been waiting for for 8 months wasn't going to be ours.
Luckily, everything finally came together, the bank got their act together and we were able to close just a couple of weeks late. Yay for our first house, with plenty of room for our eventual new baby!
After February, everything was normal. I can't think of any really big disappointments, so that's good. I did get to visit Mexico's Copper Canyon with two of my co-workers, and that was a nice diversion.
Edited to add: I forgot to mention my car accident in June! I was hit at full speed by a hit & run driver on the freeway. Thank God I wasn't hurt (other than some back pain), but having to pay a $2k deductible didn't feel very good!
In September, our adoption homestudy was finally approved, more than one year after we had begun (we delayed everything due to the new house). In October we went live, and waited for a match.
In early November I went to Guatemala as a representative of my company, and that had its ups and downs, but for the most part was a highlight. Then in late November were matched with sweet Olivia, and in a whirlwind of 48 hours we experienced the most amazing feelings of love and responsibility to the deepest despair after having to say goodbye. Though we never actually got to say goodbye. All our decisions were made in a dingy Motel 6 away from the hospital...
At the end of November, the morning after we got home from leaving Olivia, we were contacted by another woman who said she had chosen us to be her unborn baby's parents. Unfortunately, after two weeks of leading us on, but never following up with any of the agency's requests, including signing releases in order to have her pregnancy confirmed, or even telling them that she wanted to match with us, or even remembering our names when she did briefly call the agency.... the agency said in their best judgment that she was an emotional scammer and that we should disengage. The agency let her know that in order to move forward she needed to contact them, and instead she sent me a text that said the agency told her she wasn't allowed to contact us again, so sorry...
Which leaves us here, in mid-December wondering what more hell we're going to have to go through before this year is finally over.
Edited to add 12/16: This blog post must have really gotten to me, because last night I had a dream that I was going to die, and I was put on a plane that had designated seating for those with whatever illness I had. One of my thoughts, was, shoot, now I have to add this to my list of sucky things of 2010 on my blog!
LMBO holy crap I'd say 2010 can suck it too if I were you! But even when things are bad....there is always someone some where else in a worse situation so count your blessings. (But it can still suck it lol)
ReplyDeleteJ.
jayswonderland.blogspot.com